Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Stellaluna

Allegra has already introduced you to the basic story line in Stellaluna. This is a book I was introduced to in my Children's Literature class in my teacher prep coursework. I fell in love immediately.

The most moving and effective part of the illustrations, I believe, is the small pen and ink drawings on each page. The main illustrations tell Stellaluna's journey--where she has been, how she got, there and who she is with. These other, smaller illustrations, tell the mother's story. How frantic she is as she searches for her lost child. I'm not a mother, but I could certainly feel this mother's love and fear for her child.

So find this book. Support your local library and check it out. Share this gem with a child--both you and he will enjoy it.

Happy Reading!
Kristen

2 comments:

  1. Per Kristen's recommendation, I also used this book for a paper in my Children's Lit class. The double story line is a nice added bonus for a parent/older child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow we have missed this story. I've seen it (at book fairs) but have never read it. Next time I visit the library, I think I'll follow your advice and check it out.

    ReplyDelete