Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Stellaluna

Without further ado, we'd like to begin with our first book: Stellaluna.


I have discussed Allen's reaction before, but I will restate here that Allen adores this book. While it's meant for children older than two (4-7-year-olds) Allen has been mesmerized by the illustrations for quite some time now. When he first pulled it from his bookshelf about six months ago, I think he grew tired of the story before its completion, but now it holds attention completely. He loves it and asks for it frequently.

Ms. Cannon tells of a little fruit bat and her bird friends, in this sweet story of friendship, acceptance, and love. It's s book that I genuinely enjoy reading to Allen as often as he requests it.

And while it is a lovely story that will teach him about friendships and acceptance as he grows older, right now I think he loves it simply because he thinks Stellaluna is cute. On occasional evening walks, Daddy and I will point out a bat to him, and he immediately responds by gasping and saying, "Steyayuna!" That is enough for me to make it worth reading to him again and again.

This is a book that I have to thank Kristen for, because without her I would never have known it existed. I know she has more gems about the book that she will point out to you (like the pen and ink illustrations on each page), so I will turn the posting over to her now.

xoxo,

Allegra

**Update: Daddy just informed me that Allen took Stellaluna out this morning and "read" almost the entire book (quoting various parts about the owl, falling from the branch, and the comments of the three birds)**

1 comment: