Friday, December 26, 2008

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

I admitted to Allegra when she told me this was the next book that she wanted to share that, not only do I not have this book, I only read it a few times to the Kindergartners in whose classrooms I found myself. A quick Google search, however, revealed this lovely video. I watched it twice and found myself bopping around to it. I hope you enjoy as much as I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KpW5oWxRto

An additional at-home activity has to do with matching the upper and lowercase letters. This book features the lowercase letters which may be new to some pre-schoolers as many other alphabet books use the capital letters. Print and cut out a set of letters in their upper an lower case forms. 52 cards in a Memory style game is too many (it's too many for adults...even the game I play on my DS only uses 32 cards). Try using just the vowels or maybe the letters in their name. It's a quick and, I think, fun game. I used a similar idea with numbers and pictures to represent the number (ie: 3 matched a card that theree stars on it). Great for developing 1 to 1 correspondence.

Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, I can't stop singing "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom" in my head. Make it stop. Also, did you guys see the gadget that's called something like classic children's lit picture of the day?

    ReplyDelete